'Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit'
St Matthew 28: 19
Charity No. 282910
SOME REMINDERS ON CHURCH ETIQUETTE
“Be silent, all flesh, before the Lord; for he has roused Himself from His Holy dwelling” (Zach. 2:13)
From time to time it is necessary to remind ourselves of the practices and traditions of our Orthodox Church so please remember to:
1. SWITCH OFF mobile phones and electronic devices before entering the church.
2. REMOVE SHOES and make the sign of the cross three times over yourself on entering the church. (Ex. 3:5-6)
3. DRESS APPROPRIATELY by covering yourself with a netala or gabbi and avoid wearing tight fitting or revealing clothing.
4. STAND UP and remain still/silent (a) when the priest chants “Ahadu” (b) when the Holy Gospel is being read and (c) when the Holy Communion is being received. ( Ps. 46:10)
5. SUPERVISE YOUNG CHILDREN who should remain with their parents and refrain from running around/playing in church during the liturgy.
6. DISCRETELY break the fast with a handful of raisins after the final dismissal prayer by the clergy, if you have received Holy Communion.
7. WAIT until food is blessed by a priest before eating. At no time should food be eaten in front of the altar.